RTAS: WELL CONTROL SUPPORT & LOSS PREVENTION
- RTAS has the ability to issue forward watches and alarms for the risks of evolving kicks.
- RTAS assists in clarity for operator and rig crew well control responsibilities.
- RTAS alarms against casing seat test pressure failures.
- Defines the limits of drilling margins (with a safety factor), hence the maximum ECD achievable at any given depth.
- Enables improved barrier management.
- Assist in avoiding barrier losses that can lead to kicks and potential well control incidents.
A Conundrum: Misinterpreting Ballooning Vs. Flow
Arguably the No. 1 reason in unconventional drilling that leads to well control incidents:
RTAS has the ability to offer conditional interpretations: is the condition a result of ballooning, or an actual flow event?
If mud weight/ECD is added to a ballooning event the risk becomes loss of barrier due to formation breakdown, then:
Loss of barrier results in a kick.
Flow: If the mud weight/ECD is too low, the risk is kick and flow.
Key: Proactively knowing the difference
Pumps OFF: Formation relieves ECD applied stress causing fluid to temporarily flow back
Signs of Flow or Kick: Flow increases